Skip to main content

Tuesday Teacher Tips - November 12, 2013 - Attention Getters, Rosemary Wells & EdCampNKY

These were the tips I shared with my faculty today. Links are in brackets.

A Few Classroom Management Tricks and Tools


t’s that time of the year when the barometer is dropping, the moon is full (ok it’s not, but it feels like it) and of course we just had our first snow—in November!  It’s the perfect storm for the kids to be a little more “enthusiastic” (and by enthusiastic we all know I mean wound up).  This might be the perfect time to revisit procedures or introduce some new  things that will get your students’ attention and help them manage their own enthusiasm.

First, check out Angela Watson’s post “How to Get Students to Follow Directions The First Time”, on the Cornerstone by clicking [here]. In the post, Watson suggests, 9 ways to get your students to stop and listen to directions.  Some of my favorites are “the 3 before me rule” and the “magic word”,  which I would likely make sloth or even better the phrase “Goonies Never Say Die” as in: “Goonies Never Say Die!” pause for dramatic effect—”please get out your pencils.”

Here are a few more “Attention Getters” from AtoZ Teacher Stuff [here].  The “Finding Nemo Attention Getter” is probably my favorite on the list.  Say “Shark Bait!” when you need to get your students’ attention, and they repeat “Brew-ha-ha” until the class is settled.

An app for that

There’s also a great  app called “Too Noisy” for iPhone or iPad.  Click [here] to see the website. The app has a noise meter on it, and it allows you to control the sensitivity.  When the class is too noisy, the noise meter will point to red and you will see a smiley face turn to a frown.  You could share the meter with your class by placing your device under your document camera or by using something like AirServer if your computer and device are on the same network.


Celebrate Picture Book Month with Rosemary Wells




For Picture Book Month, be sure to check out some favorites by Rosemary Wells. The Max books, Bunny Cakes and Noisy Nora are all time favorites.

Be sure to check out the Rosemary Wells website by clicking [here].

Read about why Wells believes picture books are important to a child’s cognitive development, by clicking [here].

Find her on twitter [here].


EdCamp Unconferences, a New Way to Get Professional Development


This weekend I attended EdCampNKY hosted by the Northern Kentucky Education Action Council Team 2. It was three hours of professional development unlike any professional development I have ever been part of.  There are no rules and no real formal presentations.  It’s all about what you need, and if you’re not getting anything out of a session, you just get up and leave, and find another conversation to join.

When I arrived at Boone County High School on Saturday, I wasn’t sure what to expect.  I checked in and got a paper that described the general format, then saw the schedule of “sessions” projected on the wall.  Sessions run about 30 minutes, and you create sessions as you go.  A few teachers from Ft. Thomas wanted to learn more about RTI, so they created a session, and people showed up and started sharing ideas.  A few others asked me to help them with Twitter, so I started a session and sat with three people and helped them get started.  There were a few somewhat “planned” sessions where teachers shared technology ideas and presented about apps to use (I learned about Too Noisy in one).

Basically, the experience was awesome because I got exactly what I needed, and it was empowering to know that if I wasn’t getting what I needed I could generate my own session so that I could get it.  I love that it embraced the idea that teachers are the experts, and that we have a lot to share, and I really love how teachers from all over the area came together to work together.

Click [here] to see a Smore that describes EdCampNKY, you’ll notice the “Possible Topics” list—we didn’t even get a chance to talk about many of those—but could in future camps. Click [here] to see Erika Bowles Storify from the day (compilation of tweets from the sessions).  Also, follow Erika Bowles (Longbranch Elementary Principal) on Twitter by clicking [here].

The next EdCampNKY is going to be at Highlands High School on December 7, 2013.  Even if you have all your PD hours, you should try to go to see it in action.  And really, you will be surprised at how much you have to share.  Be sure to search the hashtag on Twitter #EdCampNKY to see more of what people are sharing.

Comments

  1. This is amazing. Everything is superb in this post. I am also a teacher and love such stuff. For teaching my kids I try to include fun games, activities and crafts in their education. kidsfront.com has become my favorite website. They have just cool stuff for toddlers. http://kindergartenlifestyle.blogspot.in/2014/05/teacher-appreciation-teachers-rock.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Library Centers for Kindergarten & First Grade

Center Inspiration After much debate at the end of last school year, I was able to get 10 extra minutes added on to each of my classes for this year boosting class library time from 35 minutes a week to 45 minutes a week for my fixed schedule.  For me, 35 minutes a week, just wasn't enough to pack in all the awesomeness I wanted to achieve.  It seemed like we would just be getting started into something great when it was time to go. I was thrilled to know that this year I was going to have the extra time to work with my classes on research skills and technology projects while working in more time to allow them to browse the shelves and look at books.  That being said, truth be told, I was completely freaked out about what to do with my kindergartners for 45 minutes. Did I mention in my former life, I was a high school English teacher?  Four years ago, my first two weeks in an elementary library were a complete culture shock to me. I was used to walking into a room and just say

Project Genre-fy the Fiction Section!

After a lot of thinking, I finally decided to take the leap this summer and move the fiction section of my elementary library from the traditional first-three-letters-of-the-last- name organization to a genre based organization. Now that the project is almost complete, I cannot wait to get the kids back in the library so I can show them! Deciding Factors There are many reasons individual teacher librarians might choose to genrefy their library.  For me, I was driven to start with the fiction section because I've noticed an alarming drop off in students checking out books by the time they get to fifth grade.  This drop off could be for any number of reasons: increased activities after school, loss of interest in the materials they see on the shelf, lack of time, or they could be overwhelmed by book after book organized by letter. I realized, too, that although my 3-5 graders don't ask for "funny" books or "animal" stories, they seem to get stuck on c

Digital Interactive Notebooks: Getting Started

Post appeared also on FtEdTech It's no real secret that I love Digital Interactive Notebooks.  I create them every chance I get and encourage teachers to use them for everything from long term Project Based Learning (PBL) projects to weekly unit work with vocabulary .   The Interactive Notebook (INB) has long been a staple of the classroom to engage students more directly with their notes.  The traditional interactive notebook often includes traditional student notes, questions, and interactives that students cut, fold, color and paste into their notebooks. You might find graphic organizers, pockets with measuring tools, data charts, and foldables that act as study aides.  In the NSTA article " Science Interactive Notebooks in the Classroom " Jocelyn Young explains the benefits of INB when she shares that " By using notebooks, students model one of the most vital and enduring functions of scientists in all disciplines—recording information, figures, and data.