Skip to main content

First Week

Students started back to school on Wednesday, and this year it has been a crazy ride.  Over the summer, our very unique library was renovated.  An extremely hard working summer crew and custodial staff fixed walls, painted, installed new windows, black out shades and carpet. 
Two days before school

Two days before school started new shelving and tables were delivered.  That meant, the day before school started was spent trying to get books unpacked from boxes and shelved in the right space. 
Yup, the day before school

We didn’t finish.
I guess many people would be in a total panic about this, but for me it’s easier to focus on what is essential: making sure the kids could come in and sit down safely and making sure that I could convey to them the information I needed to explain.  

I wasn’t involved in the planning of the space because I wasn’t hired until after, but this is what I’ve learned from the experience so far:
·         When planning on new furniture in a library measure the existing shelving space to ensure that enough replacement shelving is ordered
·         Take into consideration electrical drops for computer needs
·         Give yourself some flexibility – we now have “floating” shelving units on casters that make it easy for two adults to move the unit
·         Consider seating arrangement – how do you want your library classroom to be set up so that everyone can see the technology being used?
The nearly finished product
·         From the circulation desk, do you have a clear view of all areas of the library – if not, how can you minimize your blind spots – through the use of mirrors, arrangement of shelving etc.
·         What furniture/storage pieces will you need for student materials, classroom instruction, etc?
Understanding that some things are in my control and some are just out – really helps. By Wednesday, despite some technology snags, I’d say it was a success; by Friday, all books were unboxed and shelved (well, some are on carts because we’re short a shelving unit) technology was in working order, and I really felt like I had hit my groove. The first three days were a win.

 Focusing on things I could control, I worked hard on my introductory presentation.  As I was prepping my  this year, I decided to give Prezi another shot.  I haven’t used it since last year at this time, and I was pleasantly surprised by the changes they have made.  You can now track which area of the Prezi you are editing on the left side – similar to PowerPoint and PowToon, and it is much easier to track and re-order your paths. 

The first time I used Prezi that was the action that drove me most crazy.  They have also added a lot of different templates, which quite frankly, helps to save me a lot of time.  The feature I am most impressed with now is the ability to easily search Google and YouTube for images and videos to embed.  While I am not very impressed with the images available as free source, I really love that I can embed a YouTube video so that I don’t have to worry about all the comments, ads and potentially inappropriate suggested videos on the right side.  While my elementary students responded most enthusiastically to the PowToon, I felt like Prezi helped me convey very important information – voice levels & behavior expectations in an efficient and professional manner.  One thing I couldn’t do – change my email address! I’m at a new school, so I wanted to use my new email address to sign in, but I couldn’t.  I ended up creating a new educator’s account, but that’s okay since my old account doesn’t have much on it.

I searched Voice Levels on YouTube and found a great student-made video that explains it perfectly
 I’ve got two more school days to get things in order for checkouts, so my next big win will be to just make sure everyone leaves with a book.
What will be your win for the upcoming week?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Library Centers for Kindergarten & First Grade

Center Inspiration After much debate at the end of last school year, I was able to get 10 extra minutes added on to each of my classes for this year boosting class library time from 35 minutes a week to 45 minutes a week for my fixed schedule.  For me, 35 minutes a week, just wasn't enough to pack in all the awesomeness I wanted to achieve.  It seemed like we would just be getting started into something great when it was time to go. I was thrilled to know that this year I was going to have the extra time to work with my classes on research skills and technology projects while working in more time to allow them to browse the shelves and look at books.  That being said, truth be told, I was completely freaked out about what to do with my kindergartners for 45 minutes. Did I mention in my former life, I was a high school English teacher?  Four years ago, my first two weeks in an elementary library were a complete culture shock to me. I was used to walking into a room and just say

Project Genre-fy the Fiction Section!

After a lot of thinking, I finally decided to take the leap this summer and move the fiction section of my elementary library from the traditional first-three-letters-of-the-last- name organization to a genre based organization. Now that the project is almost complete, I cannot wait to get the kids back in the library so I can show them! Deciding Factors There are many reasons individual teacher librarians might choose to genrefy their library.  For me, I was driven to start with the fiction section because I've noticed an alarming drop off in students checking out books by the time they get to fifth grade.  This drop off could be for any number of reasons: increased activities after school, loss of interest in the materials they see on the shelf, lack of time, or they could be overwhelmed by book after book organized by letter. I realized, too, that although my 3-5 graders don't ask for "funny" books or "animal" stories, they seem to get stuck on c

Digital Interactive Notebooks: Getting Started

Post appeared also on FtEdTech It's no real secret that I love Digital Interactive Notebooks.  I create them every chance I get and encourage teachers to use them for everything from long term Project Based Learning (PBL) projects to weekly unit work with vocabulary .   The Interactive Notebook (INB) has long been a staple of the classroom to engage students more directly with their notes.  The traditional interactive notebook often includes traditional student notes, questions, and interactives that students cut, fold, color and paste into their notebooks. You might find graphic organizers, pockets with measuring tools, data charts, and foldables that act as study aides.  In the NSTA article " Science Interactive Notebooks in the Classroom " Jocelyn Young explains the benefits of INB when she shares that " By using notebooks, students model one of the most vital and enduring functions of scientists in all disciplines—recording information, figures, and data.